“[A good artist is] one with imagination and the ability to tell a good story. How well a man draws cuts no ice with me, if what he’s trying to express comes out vague and choppy.” ‐ Jack Kirby
(Sherman cited in Morrow (ED.) 2004, (vol.1) p. 181).

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

For next week's class: Week 8, Tuesday 11th Sept.



Hi guys,
Just a quick touch base after yesterday, and to remind you to keep the ball rolling- I don't want anyone "drowning" in the next few weeks, so read below to make sure you're up to speed (especially the RED stuff).

I hope you all enjoyed our guest speaker Donald Walker (Disney, Animal Logic) , and seen the practical applications to what we've been learning in-class :D

You can check out his concept art and storyboarding examples here: http://donaldwalkeranimation.blogspot.com.au/

The cool thing is too, he touched on TVC storyboarding which will give us some time later in the coming weeks. Now Donald gave you a bit of a talking to regarding missing the Sunday talk; I just want to reiterate how hard it is to land a great role/experience outside of uni without having contacts/knowing what to do/knowing the faces of the people who can give you leads. This is something you guys will learn as you pursue a creative role/work experience. That saying "It's not what you know, but who you know" is 100% true. Anyways, more on that later :)

2 things: 1. I've noticed that my student email address for griffith has not been getting all the emails being sent to me. I know in the past, 1 or 2 of your queries haven't gotten through. So, don't think of me as ignoring your emails, feel free to get me through pmason83@gmail.com

2. Next week is week 8. There was no exercise yesterday because of the guest lectures, so in this instance I want to see EVERYONE's story idea for the final assessment. Email me if you want a sounding board. At this point, I'm going to suggest if you don't have a pre-existing script/story idea plotted out, then do a genre mash up, or possibly a public domain take on a character/story (original fairy tales are all public domain, a little research might score you a cool idea for a futuristic Grimm's story, or Aesop fable done like a western ....I'm just spit balling here, but you get the idea ;D

Actually, 3 things I've noticed. A couple of you have contacted me to say you've missed lectures (with reasons). That's ok, as long as you keep up. Head to Learning at @Griffith for the in-class exercise folders, the lectures are up too in PDF's, and read the blog archives with the clips/minor notes. I tend to talk more than the PDF slides suggest, so maybe a refresher in some points might be in the cards, perhaps I can talk things out to those who wish to listen during one of the upcoming tute sessions while the others are working.

No comments:

Post a Comment